blog header

blog header

Monday 10 October 2022

Orctober fest

 


Since this month's subject for the Bits and Bobs Challenge is 'Heroes' I have a bit of space to complete some extra 'rank and file' for last month as well. It's orctober, I need to do orcs, they're not really heroic now are they? :D

These are all Bob Olley Mountain Orcs currently available from SHQ Miniatures (except the armoured guy at the centre of the top image, he's RPE) and are joining the bunch I have already painted for my non-green orc army. They're pretty big chaps, I have half a mind to count them as ogres.


These were a late addition to the army as I picked them up in a cheap ebay lot and they have lounged around at the back of the shelf for two years whilst I waited for the impulse to get back to finishing the army. They're all open-handed sculpts and came with a selection of weapons so I was able to bend arms and give them different equipment for variety. Sticking with the same basic colours as the rest of the army and trying to keep them very muted.


I've also added to the ranks of the goblins in the army. The unit has a kind of hobgoblin/Mongolian vibe so these Giaks fit nicely.


Most are Citadel Giaks, one of each, with the same red eye iconography as the previous models. These are such lovely models to paint. The poses feel really natural despite the limitations of two-part mould metal casting and the character and detail in the faces is wonderful.

These three are a pair of more recent Giaks (from Minifigs) and a Grom's Goblin Guard whose equipment and face blend in perfectly. This little chap was a gift from a generous BOYLer, I forget who but thank you!


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work as always. The giaks are superb. There are 7 Citadel variants I recall... there's another with sword and shield standing which is slightly different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! Another one to look out for then!

      Delete
    2. Giaks would be the lone wolf Citadel set? 6 in the Inital box set (LW1), then one extra one in the range. Sword, Shield and bow over his band. kinda just Standing around on guard pose.

      Delete
    3. Oh, update.. the missing one is the one with the flat shield and there is one one eBay but.. as a set of 4 for £40.. but are open to offers... yeah.. to me.. that's a bit high £10 a figure...

      Delete
    4. Aha, I see the one. Yep, not a figure I'd be spending a tenner on. :)

      Delete
  2. Really inspiring there and lovely sculpts. I'm tempted to get them and use as Black Orcs for my Oldhammer Orc Army.

    ReplyDelete

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's