blog header

blog header

Monday 24 July 2023

Monsters for Firetop Mountain

 Continuing to populate the dungeon below Firetop Mountain, here are the essential monsters to plague the adventurers with!



The orc was fished out by the lovely Mike at Broadswords and Beasts. You can't see form the picture but his hat is an absolutely spot-on match to the art. I added some spiky bits to the end of his spear and sculpted on some boots.

The goblin was lurking in my Night Goblin horde, but he doesn't really fit the style so I nicked him for this instead. Different weapons but his helmet is pretty much right.

The hobgoblin was destined for my Angus McBride orc army, but as he was my only available unpainted hobgoblin I nabbed him for this instead. He's so clearly a hobgoblin after all. 


I actually purchased a (cheap!) copy of Dark World to use one of the skeletons for this project. However they're big and plastic and don't look right so in the end I cheated by repurposing the skeleton I sculpted for my Heroquest set and just rebasing him.

The zombie was in my 'give away at BOYL' box since I don't really do zombies, but turns out I had a use for him after all. I had to give him a new weapon as his axe had broken (rusted?!) off.

The ghoul is another gift from Mike. This time a Prince August home cast model. Suitably hard to tell where the flesh ends and the rags begin! As with all PA homecast models he had no face to speak of so I puttied a few eye sockets on. There's not much of the ghoul's face left after all. 


The troll and the giant are both Bob Olley trolls from RPE bought to bolster my ogre mercenaries. They're much smaller than the ogres though and don't really fit in very well. Originally I was planning to use a Dark World ogre for my giant since they look a lot closer to the artwork, but he stood out as too obviously a ropey plastic model amongst these nice, fine sculpts so I stuck with just a colour difference to designate the troll and giant.

The minotaur is the last of Mike's donations to the cause. I didn't want an enormous figure, he has to fit on the board squares after all, so this chap was perfect. 


I had painted the giant rat a couple of weeks ago for my Skaven horde, but I have enough anyway probably so he will get more prominence out of being part of this set.

The spider was a really busted-up model I got in a job lot of broken minis some years ago. He had just gone into my bits box after deciding I wasn't going to use him with my night goblins so, fresh in my memory, I fished him out and sculpted new forelegs and head to get him back in use.


These three I found among the Oakbound range, handy that. The old gnoll figure was intentionally ratty and works ok as the wererat despite not being as chunky as the art. Everyonw who sees the wulver says it's a werwolf, so now this one is a werewolf. Too big and probably a bit too friendly but the only thing I had that would really do the job without extensive conversion. Lastly a whist hound has been painted black for use as the hellhound.

That just leaves two very important figures for the next instalment of Firetop Mountain!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's