blog header

blog header

Monday 25 April 2016

A tribute to Alan Lee and Jes Goodwin, the start of the new Myeri range

Followers of Oakbound Studio will know the very exciting news we received last weekend. Alan Lee (the renowned pictographer of all things Middle Earth, designer for Peter Jackson's films and faerie artist extraordinaire) has given permission for us to use one of his paintings as the cover of the Secrets of Shandisholm sourcebook which is due for release in the summer.


There's no need to repeat Zhu's comprehensive study of the relationship between this beastie from the 80s book "Irish folk and fairy stories 2" by Michael Scott, except perhaps to add that the first chapter of said book also provides much of the information that became Games Workshop's Fimir.

 
 
 
This is my 'Limited Edition' Jes Goodwin sculpt, you can clearly see the influence. It was the grainy picture of this guy in 3rd Ed WHFB that first drew me to the Fimir, and whilst I am a big fan of the Bibby nobles the Fimm and Meargh just don't grab me in the same way this beast does.
 
 
Remember these guys?


These were my first attempts to create some 28mm Fimir, I'll just drop them here as progress markers!

As I've said, the Fimir were lifted (not quite wholesale, but nearly) from the Fomorians of Irish myth, as told by Michael Scott. The book is well worth a read by the way! The Fimir never got much attention after 3rd Ed, and not that much then although they featured a bit more prominently in WFRP. This is a shame as the Fomorians are wonderful characters and deserve to be noticed, as does Alan Lee's design work! So when I began work on my Celtic fantasy world I decided the Fomorians definitely needed to be present. However I wanted them to be quite different from the Fimir which have always had quite an evil reputation. Instead I chose to blend the Fomorian myth with Maori, Aboriginal and Welsh folklore and the Skeksis and UrRu of The Dark Crystal to create the Myeri. For the record though, the name Myeri was decided on before any idea that the Maori would form part of their influence- just a happy coincidence!


Here's one of the first wave Myeri. These guys have been around for a few years now and I still like the Froudian character of the heads, but I've been doing quite a lot of sculpting since then and for the forthcoming sourcebook I thought I ought to firm up the Myeri a bit more and release some more miniatures, especially in the light of Alan Lee's generosity. So this weekend I got to work on the first:


Really happy with how this guy turned out so I have plans to do several more. Trying to pin down exactly what to sculpt is tricky though. The Myeri society is made up of craftsmen and workers called Oibrithe, warriors called Losbastun, soothsayers called Draoi and chieftains called Tiarna. The guy above is definitely at least a Losbast, probably a Tiarna given his feathered ruff and ornately carved tail spike.

Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to being able to get 1 (Read: Loads) of them, hopefully your'll have him cast in time for BOYL16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, hopefully the clan box will be out by then. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope someday tengais a link reading to read it.
    I would be thrilled.
    My English is poor, in fact use the google translator to write, so to see him, I can pass it to a translator and read it.
    As I always say, good topic. ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Breda,

      Glad you enjoy the Fimir. I think they're one of the most interesting creatures to be found in fantasy, probably because of their Celtic rather than High Fantasy origins. If GW had gone back to the Finnish roots of the Orcs maybe they could have had the same depth as a race. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And I think I have you to thank for the book. :)

      Delete
  4. You've deleted the Fimirs because it is a race that is played by the rape, I see stupid.
    By that token, it would have to remove the green skins that incite physical violence, suppress the drow for inciting slavery and racism as they believe themselves superior to others, suppress Bretonia because incites feudal exploitation, the Empire for inciting inquisition, and so I can follow.

    Luckily, there are fans who revived the Warhamer with the ninth edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nasty aspect was never going to be commercially viable, however representative it was of the mythology from which they were drawn. That doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bath water though, there was lots of good stuff there... hopefully The Woods will manage to give the Fomorians the tabletop presence they deserve!

      Delete
  5. If so upset they could do at least suppressed books armies, as they have done with other sinister things from other races.
    People do these things attracts parerca it or not, you repulse, yet it attracts.

    ReplyDelete

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's