blog header

blog header

Monday 9 May 2022

The 333 3rd Ed Challenge- Beasts


It's the penultimate month for the 333 3rd ed challenge... well kinda. Technically I think there's June and July to go but since the last two months' chaos warrior units have munched through so many points I only really have a months' worth of figures left to do. July is going to be a month of finishing the basing and doing banners I think.

Anyhow, here's May's submission thanks to the early May bank holiday. As far as the challenge goes this is a unit of twelve beastmen with hand weapons and shields, plus two armoured beastmen with hand weapons and shields to join Luxetia's non-goat beastmen and another (don't have a) cow-man to join the Countess. No room in the remaining points for a shaman but I had the model so it made sense to paint him up at the same time.


Continuing the colour scheme from the rest of the army (black and white with pink accents)I adopted the same black for the skin/fur as with the first unit of beastmen but decided to differentiate the leader and shaman by giving them white fur. I'd actually already painted these beastmen for a Path to Glory campaign a few years ago but stripped them as I wasn't happy with the quick paint job I had done to get them ready for the table between weekly games. That warband had been "The Black Goats of the Woods" and their tribal paint had been based on KISS makeup so I wanted to continue to nod to this past in their new role.


There's not a lot of clothing on these models, but where there is some I have tried to suggest the remnants of clerical garb, using the same colours as the robes of the acolytes and the sorcerers but with a bit more distressing. Possibly these are devolved and mutated clerics fallen from (or perhaps exalted to) grace through their worship of dark powers. They now march with Chezatro in his regional campaigning.


The standard pole is topped with the head of a Troll Soup Miniatures Bog Troll. You get so many spare heads for these guys! It will also have a flag if I find time in July.


Three misfists even within the ranks of the beasts. Bob Olley beastmen and a Blood Bowl player come to join the fight.


I think the right two here are chariot crew originally? The whip-goat's right arm was missing so needed a bit of rebuilding.


Here are the three joining other bands already painted. I didn't realise until painting him that the minotaur guy has the same head as the bull-headed chaos champion already in the Countess' retinue. It's fun finding bits of miniatures that were re-used to make up others, would be an interesting project to develop a chronology based on where body parts reappear! 


 


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Eee, them's a bit good. No cow man? Do a cow with a human head perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job! Even if you do bring shame on me for failing to do anything on my 333 point challenge chaos army after the first two months :( I got the chaos warriors based up and everything but no time and work-based exhaustion. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that. It's been difficult finding the time some months. Hope you will return to the warriors someday, they are great fun models to paint.

      Delete
  3. All looking nice and normal, I do think the pink was a good choice as it goes with the colour for cult and all. (though a side note, I always love how in fantasy games, Chaos is so.. well ordered ^_^). Quick question though.. I love that the beast men are a real random mix of creatures but i can't quite figure one out.. in the last lot of three, you have one which i would say is an Anteater, the Bull one and.. I'm not sure.. at first i thought kinda ratty but.. no.. I don't think that's right..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have no idea what he is. His legs are hooved but he has a kind of piggish snout? Really don't know. Beast! You're right, the regimented nature of chaos is so funny. My justification for this army is that they are in the livery of the state/individual they serve and have all 'gone bad' together.

      Delete
    2. Bestial is fine and good enough term. Random mixture of animal parts ^_^
      If you look though alot of wargames, Chaos is always soo ordered.. Like them people that say they are anarchists or Punks.. they form groups, with a dress code and logos.. sooo well ordered..

      Delete

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's