blog header

blog header

Tuesday 1 August 2023

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

 Here's the big bad himself, and his little pet!


For the Warlock I had originally looked out a model much closer to the white-bearded chap on the cover of the original gamebook. However since subsequent art has ignored this in favour of the character in the black and white illustration within he really wasn't recognisable as 'The Warlock' everyone now thinks of. Sadly the Otherworld miniature is OOP but I figured I could do something with this RPE summoner figure. I added the collar and join to his robes, a headband and the little bitey worm thing that is always shown snaking around his neck. With the addition of stars to his robes I think he's come out identifiable with the infamous Zagor. His base was painted match his study floor as that's the only place he's gonna be throughout the game.


The dragon I needed to be small enough to fit in the box and on the board so I opted for this wyvern I sculpted for Old School Miniatures a couple of years back. My other choice was the Broadsword Miniatures (ex-Hinchliffe) dragon (two headed) which is closer to the traditional 'English' dragon shown in the interior book art and on the Encounter card. This one I have tried to make resemble the dragon on the book and game box cover art with his abstract 'smooth' scales and adding the horn on the nose, tongue and forelimbs.

With a bunch of pretty models all nicely painted up for it I really needed to find a good way to store them. So I came up with these foam inserts for the box.




Stacking up everything fits pretty nicely, though the lid sits proud by about 8mm now it is in no danger of falling open and spilling its contents.

All ready to play!


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's