blog header

blog header

Friday 26 August 2016

The library, the library, it's a place where books are free....


Getting stuck in to the dungeon creation, I've been making good use of the downtime on the laser cutters. First I drew some Celtic knot designs and grids on Illustrator, then cut them from mount board on the laser. Then I peeled away the top few layers of board to give a bass relief effect. Some I just engraved into the card to give a more subtle tile look. I chucked some silicone onto them and set about casting in resin. There's also a spiral stair section made from 6mm MDF in there.


Once I had enough resin panels I assembled them into a couple of different doorway designs, gluing them onto acetate sheets to ensure a nice, smooth section in the centre I can paint to represent the corridor beyond.


These were put into another mould, along with some panels of the reliefs to try and build up enough to do tiled flooring and walls.


Whilst the silicone was setting I put the laser to work again, this time doing parquet flooring and bookshelves for the library. It took me a fair few hours to draw up the bookcase file, but I'm very happy with the result, even the colour of the MDF is appropriate!



My plan is to cut a lot of these bookcases in 2mm to line the walls. The full case is in three 31.5mm high sections so I can put walkways between the levels in some places. Also so I can swap the levels around to prevent the effect being too repetitive. I'm also going to cut several shelves from 3mm MDF so that I can put them back to back to make little aisles, just right for studious monsters to hide in ready to leap out!


And the floor, in three sections. I'll mask it off before I work on the walls and use some panelling on the lower wall to disguise the join. The floor has to go in before working on the walls or it would scratch the surface away on the way down, it's a good, tight fit!
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. It all looks great, but those books and the floor are particularly good. Even unpainted the books look amazing, and with a spot of color here and there they will look photo realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm very pleased with the results of my two hours drawing tiny lines! Going to make doing a big library much easier.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job mate, I wish I had a laser cutter, I need a shit-ton of book cases for Frostgrave! Unbelievable that no one makes good 28mm bookcases... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Looks like these may get into production. ;)

      Delete
    2. Good call dude - please make a fuss about it if/when, I'd hate to miss 'em!

      Delete

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's